Arif Mohammad Khan is an eminent Indian politician associated with the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), currently serving as the Governor of Kerala. Khan, who was born on November 18, 1951, has a distinguished political career that has been characterised by his active involvement in national governance.
A seasoned politician, Arif Mohammad Khan has played a pivotal role in various capacities, notably as a Union Minister. Over the course of his political journey, he has held diverse portfolios, showcasing his versatility and commitment to public service. His responsibilities have spanned crucial sectors, including energy and civil aviation, reflecting his comprehensive understanding of the intricacies of governance.
Beyond his administrative roles, Arif Mohammad Khan has been known for his principled stance on various issues and his articulate communication skills. He has been a vocal advocate for social justice and has championed causes that resonate with the welfare of common citizens.
Arif Mohammad Khan’s association with the Bharatiya Janata Party has positioned him at the forefront of the political landscape. His contributions to the party have been instrumental in shaping its policies and strategies, and his leadership has been influential in navigating the political dynamics of the country.
In recognition of his experience, dedication, and leadership qualities, Arif Mohammad Khan was appointed Governor of Kerala. As the constitutional head of the state, he continues to bring his wealth of experience to bear on the governance and development of Kerala, contributing to the welfare of its people.
Arif Mohammad Khan’s journey in Indian politics serves as an inspiration to many, reflecting a commitment to public service and a dedication to upholding democratic values. His multifaceted roles, from Union Minister to Governor, underscore his enduring impact on the political landscape of India.
Arif Mohammad Khan: Age, Biography, Education, Wife, Political Party
|Arif Mohammad Khan
|Date of Birth
|November 18, 1951
|Place of Birth
|Bulandshahr, Uttar Pradesh
|Bharatiya Janta Party
Arif Mohammad Khan Family
Arif Mohammad Khan comes from a family with a rich history, and his lineage reflects a legacy of service and participation in various fields, including politics.
His father, Ashfaq Mohammad Khan, was a notable figure in India’s struggle for independence, actively contributing as a freedom fighter. Ashfaq Mohammad Khan’s commitment to the cause left an indelible mark on the family’s history. He passed away in 2016 at the age of 93, leaving behind a legacy of patriotism and service.
Arif Mohammad Khan’s brother, Asif Muhammad Khan, has also played a role in Indian politics. As a former Member of the Legislative Assembly (MLA), he represented the Okhla assembly constituency in Delhi in 2013. Asif Muhammad Khan is affiliated with the Indian National Congress, contributing to the political landscape through his association with the party.
On a personal front, Arif Mohammad Khan married Sayyada Reshma Arif on October 14, 1977. The couple has two sons, Mustafa Arif and Kabir Arif. Mustafa Arif has pursued a career in law, showcasing the family’s diverse interests. Kabir Arif, on the other hand, has chosen a path in aviation as a pilot and is concurrently pursuing his passion for organic farming in Uttar Pradesh.
Expanding the family’s political footprint, Arif Mohammad Khan’s niece, Ariba Khan, entered the political arena. Ariba contested the Delhi Municipal Corporation Election in 2022 on a Congress ticket and emerged victorious, adding another dimension to the family’s political involvement.
Arif Mohammad Khan’s family narrative encapsulates a blend of public service, political engagement, and diverse professional pursuits, reflecting a commitment to contributing to society in various capacities.
|Ashfaq Mohammad Khan
|Asif Muhammad Khan
Arif Mohammad Khan Education
Arif Mohammad Khan received his education from prominent institutions in India, shaping his academic foundation and preparing him for a successful career in public service.
He began his educational journey at Jamia Millia School in Delhi, where he likely laid the initial groundwork for his intellectual development. Subsequently, he continued his studies at Aligarh Muslim University (AMU) in Aligarh, an esteemed educational institution known for its contributions to academia and the intellectual growth of its students. AMU has a rich history and has been a nurturing ground for many influential individuals.
Furthering his education, Arif Mohammad Khan pursued studies at Shia College, part of the University of Lucknow. The University of Lucknow, established in 1921, has been a centre of academic excellence in northern India. Shia College, affiliated with the university, has played a role in shaping the educational journey of many students.
Arif Mohammad Khan’s academic background at these institutions likely provided him with a well-rounded education, equipping him with the knowledge and skills necessary for his subsequent roles in public life and governance. The diverse educational experiences at institutions with strong academic traditions may have contributed to his understanding of social and political dynamics, laying the groundwork for his contributions to the nation.
|Jamia Millia School, Delhi
|Aligarh Muslim University
Shia College, University of Lucknow
Arif Mohammad Khan Political career
- Student Leader: Arif Mohammad Khan commenced his political journey as a student leader, holding the position of President of the Aligarh Muslim University Students’ Union in the years 1972–73. Prior to that, he served as its honorary secretary in the academic year 1971–72.
- Legislative Election: Despite his early defeat in the legislative assembly election from the Siyana constituency of Bulandshahar under the Bharatiya Kranti Dal party’s banner, Arif Mohammad Khan demonstrated his commitment to public service from a young age.
- Member of Legislative Assembly (UP): Arif Mohammad Khan achieved a significant milestone in 1977 by becoming a Member of the Legislative Assembly of Uttar Pradesh at the age of 26, showcasing his early entry into mainstream politics.
- Indian National Congress: He later joined the Indian National Congress party and successfully contested elections to the Lok Sabha, representing Kanpur in 1980 and Bahraich in 1984. However, differences over the passage of the Muslim Personal Law Bill led to his resignation from the Indian National Congress in 1986.
- Janata Dal Affiliation: Joining the Janata Dal, Arif Mohammad Khan was re-elected to the Lok Sabha in 1989. During the Janata Dal rule, he served as the Union Minister for the Ministry of Civil Aviation and Energy, demonstrating his versatility in handling diverse portfolios.
- Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP): Arif Mohammad Khan later joined the Bahujan Samaj Party and secured re-election to the Lok Sabha in 1998 from Bahraich. His ministerial responsibilities spanned from 1984 to 1990.
- Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP): In 2004, Arif Mohammad Khan joined the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) but faced an unsuccessful attempt at the Lok Sabha election as a BJP candidate from the Kaiserganj constituency.
- Governor of Kerala: Arif Mohammad Khan’s association with the BJP took a significant turn when he was appointed as the Governor of Kerala, showcasing his transition from active politics to a constitutional role.
Arif Mohammad Khan’s political career has been characterised by a series of affiliations, demonstrating his adaptability and commitment to public service across different political landscapes in India. His journey reflects a trajectory from student politics to legislative roles and ministerial responsibilities, culminating in his current position as the Governor of Kerala.
Governor of Kerala
Arif Mohammad Khan assumed the role of Governor of Kerala on September 1, 2019, following the official order by the President of India, Ram Nath Kovind. His appointment marked a significant phase in his political career, transitioning into a constitutional position.
- Authorship: Known for his literary pursuits, Arif Mohammad Khan authored the best-selling book “Text and Context: Quran and Contemporary Challenges” in 2010. The book, which is a product of Rupa & Co., explores the connection between the Quran and current issues while showcasing Khan’s intellectual engagement with Islamic philosophy.
- Continued Writing: Post his book’s success, Khan has remained actively involved in writing articles and columns, particularly focusing on Islam and Sufism. His continued contributions to literature highlight his dedication to fostering intellectual discourse.
Advocacy and Stances:
- All India Muslim Personal Law Board: Arif Mohammad Khan has been a vocal advocate for the abolition of the All India Muslim Personal Law Board. His stance reflects a commitment to reform and modernize legal frameworks within the Muslim community.
- Support for Supreme Court Decision: Khan supported the landmark Supreme Court decision in the case of Mohd. Ahmed Khan v. Shah Bano Begum. His endorsement of the decision, which granted divorced Muslim wives an absolute right to maintenance, showcases his commitment to principles of justice and gender equality.
Arif Mohammad Khan’s activities as the Governor of Kerala, his literary contributions, and his advocacy for legal reforms within the Muslim community underscore his multifaceted engagement in various spheres, aligning with his commitment to social justice and intellectual discourse.
Arif Mohammad Khan vs Kerala government
Arif Mohammad Khan has faced ongoing disagreements with the CPIM-led state government. Tensions escalated after the passing of an anti-CAA resolution by the assembly, with Khan initially refusing to read a specific paragraph and later doing so at the Chief Minister’s request. The CPIM accused him of political bias favouring the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS). Khan further stirred controversy by questioning and cancelling the appointment of Priya Varghese, wife of the Chief Minister’s private secretary, citing nepotism. The Kerala High Court later found discrepancies in Priya’s appointment, ordering a reexamination based on University Grants Commission norms.
Arif Mohammad Khan has actively engaged with social media, establishing a presence on platforms like Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. Additionally, he is associated with the official page of the Kerala Governor, utilizing these platforms to connect with the public, share updates, and communicate information relevant to his role as the Governor of Kerala.
In conclusion, Arif Mohammad Khan’s dynamic political career, literary contributions, and interactions with the Kerala government have shaped his role as the 22nd Governor of Kerala. His involvement in various spheres, from student leadership to national politics, reflects a commitment to public service. The controversies surrounding him underscore the complexities of political dynamics and differing perspectives in the Indian political landscape. Whether through his official duties, literary pursuits, or engagements on social media, Arif Mohammad Khan remains a prominent figure, contributing to the ongoing discourse in both state and national affairs.